When i saw Kalyani's Magic Mingle, i loved the idea of putting together something, using the magic ingredients! I decided to join the group & Kalyani was sweet enough to accommodate me this very month.. my magic ingredients being Ginger & Almonds!!! I love almonds, but not a great fan of ginger... but the minute i saw ginger, all i could think of ..was Ginger biscuits!! What better time to bake them :)
There are so many recipes of Ginger biscuits...there's cookies, snaps etc etc..seeing all of them, put together what ever had in my pantry.. Result : Totally worth it! The magic worked :D
|Ginger - Almond Biscuits|
|Biscuits of all shapes & sized ;)|
1. All purpose flour/Maida - 1 cup
2. Almond powder - 1/2 cup (reduced 2tbsp)
3. Ginger powder - 1 tsp
4. Oats powder - 2 tbsp
5. Butter - 3/4 stick/ less than half cup
6. Liquid Jaggery - 1/2 cup
7. Light brown sugar - 1/3 cup + 2tbsp
8. Flax seeds powder - 1-1/2 tsp
9. Baking powder - 3/4 tsp
10. Baking soda - 1/2 tsp
11. Almonds chopped - 1/4 cup
12. Nutmeg powder - a pinch
1. Sieve All purpose flour, baking powder & soda in a bowl
2. To this add oats & almond powder (i had this powder handy! I generally dry roast them separately & powdered them in a blender). Also add flax seeds powder & nutmeg powder
3. Add a little water ( 4-5 tbsp) to the jaggery and melt it. Then sieve the jaggery, to remove impurities or lumps & keep aside
4. Melt butter & slight whip. To this add sugar & liquid jaggery & whip well, till creamy
5. Then add this liquid little by little to the dry mixture and form a dough
6. The dough is sticky, so don't worry ( ya, i freaked & had a good mind to include more powder..but my good sense prevailed & i didn't :))
7. Wrap this sought in cling paper & refrigerate for half hour
7a. You could shape it in the form of a rectangular log or you could make small balls & slightly flatten them
8. Pre-heat over to 350F and line the biscuits in a tray with a little distance, giving them space to expand
9. Bake for 15 min or till sides turn brown. If you like, soft chewy biscuits, remove them by 12-13 minutes!
10. Cool & enjoy with a cup of tea :)
1. They don't really fluff up, but they do expand, so space them up while you bake
2. Dont increase the nutmeg quantity, its quite strong & spoils the taste
3. They do taste different from your normal cookies/biscuits but its nice :)..you could skips oats, flax powder etc.. but they are healthy..so why skip right??
Serving : 15-20 big size cookies
Duration - 1hr + 10 minutes ( 1/2 hr refrigerate, 20 minutes of putting stuff together & 15 minutes of baking!)
Sending this to
1. Kalyani's Magic Mingle # 2
2. Vidhya's Love Lock with Sweets hosted by Killer on the Plate
3. Vardhini's Bake Fest #4 hosted by Tomato Blues
4. Vardhini's Sweet Luv
5. Radhika's 'Lets cook - Sweet Somethings'
6. Sumee's Bon Vivant Moments
7. Anjali's 'Cakes, Cookies & Deserts'
8. Sravs' "Cooking for loved ones'